[PD] Audio drops when I refresh many text in scrolline by external MIDI control.

Kuba Szczypek qqqq268 at wp.pl
Fri Oct 19 13:41:58 CEST 2007

Dear friends,

I have serious problem with  my patch. It is hard to write it in proper
English for me, but I have no choice - I must try,since I`m looking for
help.

I would like to show (by scrollist) my list of titles 128 song names.
But since I have small space for this on screen, I use only 8 lines in
scrollist and "page up" page down" mechanism.
I prepared patch who:
- first send 128 lines into memory of scrollist
- next I mark/unmark proper line.

But since I have only 8 line show  on display , and list have 128
positions I often must change pages.

The problem is that changing pages cause drop. If I change very fast (by
fader) from 0 to 127 (song nuber) many times and from 127 to 0 (again
again) then I can see that screen is completely frozen and audio drop is
very long (like about 3, 4 second).
More moving I did = bigger drop and longer frozen screen.

When I do the same, but with fader on the screen, no problem there.
Problem is only when I use external MIDI fader.
(of course normally when I use any MIDI message it work great,
problem is only with this setup: scrollist)

I tried change thread priority (pd and pd-gui) with many different
combinations, but it not solved problem.

I use Ubuntu Studio with gnome, oss audio system. Pentium IV 2,4  512
ram Geforce mx 400 with TV out enabled.

I would like to ask also is oss better than alsa+jack or not?
(I mean performance power).

Thank you

Paul Oakenfold - najdroższy DJ świata
już 7 grudnia wystąpi w Hali Stulecia we Wrocławiu.
Zobacz więcej:
http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=http%3A%2F%2Fcorto.www.wp.pl%2Fas%2Fgaleria.html&sid=61