[PD] many paths, how

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 19 05:21:49 CEST 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I think it would be very good to have cleaned up preferences windows
>> for Pd in general.  They are one of the biggest uability issues in Pd
>> right now. If someone writes the code, it can easily be included into
>> Pd-extended.  Including it into Pd-vanilla is a different story,
>> we'll see what happens there.
>
> I hate to say this: But a lot of these problems are already solved in
> Pd and Pd-extended. The solution is called ".pdrc", and I'm personally
> still using it. It has practically endless space for libraries, paths
> and startup options, the options can be freely arranged, moved up and
> down, it works for non-admin users on Windows, copy'n'paste support is
> top notch, it can be themed with Vim, Notepad or Emacs themes etc.
>
> .pdrc rocks my world and it can rock yours, too!
>
> The only thing missing is comments.
>
> Oh, and unfortunatly it seems to be deprecated.  ;)

The file format is not the issue, the pdsettings file format also has
no limit on how many libs or paths you add.  If you use the .pdrc,
then you'll still see the same preferences pane with the same limit
of 10 fields.  But then if you save your prefs, then you'll have two
different settings files that can easily cause confusion.

Because you can edit things on the command is not a good reason to
keep the GUI crappy.

.hc