[PD] [GEM-dev] proper alpha channels in GEM?

Patrice Colet pat at mamalala.org
Mon Oct 22 21:50:34 CEST 2007

Hello Ben, Cyrille, I answer to both for not flooding the list.

cyrille henry a écrit :
> imagemagick is quite strange with tiff export. you have to manually add
> some option in order to have a valid tiff file.
> you can find the correct option somwhere on the net.
>
> then, Gem load this file with no problem.

  I didn't find any option that enables the alpha channel in tiff files,
I've tried -channel RGBA -matte, -alpha, ... there is no hint on the net
for that.

B. Bogart a écrit :
 > I did a quick test and GIMP will convert a transparent PNG to TIF fine.
 > I don't have Gem working on this machine to test loading the tif, but I
 > can confirm it shows transparency. "convert" did do something strange to
 > the png file when converting to tif I can see...
 >
 > send me your tif if you still can't get it to work and I'll see if I can
 > confirm your troubles.
 >
 > .b.

I'll use the batch mode of gimp since IM can't do this job, attached are
three images, thesource.png, theresult.tiff, whatIwouldliketohave.tif