[PD] big files with textfile

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Oct 27 20:44:02 CEST 2007

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, marius schebella wrote:

> textfile can handle bigger files than msgfile, but there seems to be a
> limit, too. I tried to open a >250MB file, and Pd crashed. marius.

If you measure bytes using an int32, the limit is 2GB, but if you measure
it in bits, the limit is 256MB. [textfile] does read all the file into a
buffer as big as the file. I didn't find anything that counts memory in
bits, so perhaps it's just a coïncidence and the bug was something else,
but I did fix another 256MB limit bug recently by adding parentheses in
something like:

   num_entries * bits_per_entry / 8

When crossing the limit, the numbers become negative, and trying to
allocate a negative amount causes the allocator to either abort the
process or return NULL or corrupt memory...