[PD] GEM error on latest pd extended with Ubuntu Gutsy

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Oct 31 05:50:57 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 05:23 +0100, Thomas Mayer wrote:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 13:38 +0100, Thomas Mayer wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe the video is corrupt, have you tried transcoding the video with
> >> mencoder or transcode?
> >>
> >> Try
> >>
> >> $ mencoder -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=800 -oac copy -o train.avi
> >> train.mov
> >>
> >> and load the film train.avi
> >
> > hi thomas
> >
> > maybe i missed something, but i don't quite see why you are suggesting
> > to reencode the movie to avi-container with xvid codec.
>
> I don't have much experience with different codecs/containers and Gem,
> but - as I said - my first guess is, that the movie is somehow corrupt.
> So 1. reencoding the movie would be an option to check for this, 2.
> mencoder is easy to install on a Linux system and 3. this is a setting
> that works on my system, as mencoder with -ovc lavc produces movies,
> that Gem (pd-extended 0.39-3 on Debian) can't load. That was merely an
> idea for troubleshooting.

lavc is a codec family, not a codec. you need to specify a codec with
'-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=<codecname>'.

however, i didn't want to suggest, that i do _not_ believe, that the
file could be corrupt, but i would have tried a different codec first,
that is more likely to work.

my suggestion is this:

mencoder input.mov -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg -nosound -of lavf
-lavfopts format=mov -o output.mov

# if you use an older version of mencoder, you probably need to add a
# flag called 'i_certify_not_to_use_b_frames' (don't know the exact name
# but you'll find it in the manual.

(in one line)

this works at least here and some other people reported, that it works.
it would be interesting to know, if it also helps in enrike's case

roman