[PD] TkWidget library

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Oct 31 20:32:37 CET 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> This is not where the bottleneck is.
> I thought the network socket was the bottleneck.  The example I am thinking
> of is getting the mouse pointer coords from Tk.  That generates a lot of
> network traffic, it would be nice this happened in the pd process instead.
> Obviously, using the C interface to draw to the screen wouldn't be useful.

What I wrote to Carmen is because I think that the network socket is not
the bottleneck, so I told what I think the problem is about the network
socket.

The bottleneck is most of all the Tk rendering itself.

Something that may make one think that the bottleneck is in the network
socket, is that when the Tk rendering takes too much time, it saturates
the pipe, which causes (or caused) pd to pause waiting for the Tcl/Tk
process to be less busy.

I think that since 0.38 or so, if the Tcl/Tk process is continually too
busy, Pd grows the output socket queue until Pd blows up by out-of-memory.