[PD] changing the look of Pd to be more readable

vade doktorp at mac.com
Sat Nov 3 21:29:26 CET 2007

I agree, 1px looks better, and I very much like the versions with the
colored patch coords. I think the gray sans border ones are too
diffuse, and do not catch your eye fast enough, so you have to work
MUCH harder to make out the patch structure.

If it is possible to add user preference for these options, at least
things like -

control rate patch coord color
audio rate patch coord color

optional arrows (I notice you have them in there subtly)

object box border color
message box border color

object box interior color
message box interior color

font color

background canvas color.

it might also be useful to have a very subtle background grid drawn on
the canvas at certain intervals to help patch organization. Quartz
Composer has this, as does Max 5 (not saying you HAVE to have it, but
it might be a nice addition.

I think the overall goal should be to increase visual differentiation
between graphic representation of different objects on screen, like
objects, abstractions, externals, patchcoord types, inles and outlets.

This is *really* important, as many people learn through their eyes,
and being able to visually identify components of a patch will ease in
learning, ease in patch flow understanding, and lower common error
rates and disambiguate LOTs of things.

Great work. Im all for it. These are the kind of quality of life
issues so few open source projects attempt to tackle, and what keep
many people from actively using some software.

Awesome.