[PD] changing the look of Pd to be more readable

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Nov 4 03:40:35 CET 2007

On Nov 3, 2007, at 8:40 PM, Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:

> it might also be useful to have a very subtle background grid drawn on
> the canvas at certain intervals to help patch organization. Quartz
> Composer has this, as does Max 5 (not saying you HAVE to have it, but
> it might be a nice addition.
>
> I look at this as the equivalent of properly indented code; a
> feature I'd really appreciate is the equivalent of auto-indenting
> since I obsessively line up my Pd patches.
>
> Secondly, maybe consider making message boxes, object boxes and
> subpatch boxes each a different color?  I'd consider this the
> equivalent of syntax highlighting, and though I'm sure choice of
> default colors will be contentious, I think it would be a boon for
> busy patches (especially the subpatch/objectbox differentiation; I
> am always searching for subpatches).
>
> And finally, it pains me that much of this work we're discussing
> has already been done by Mathieu and Chun : (!  I have a dream,
> where DD and PD and PD-E are one.

DesireData has much more substantial and interesting changes than the
colors and backgrounds.  it is also, unfortunately, not at a fully
usable state yet.  Since there were 50,000+ downloads of the previous
version of Pd-extended (0.38.4), I think it's worthwhile to spend a
couple days to make Pd-extended work better while we are waiting for
DesireData.

----

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent
controls you." - Richard M. Stallman