[PD] changing the look of Pd to be more readable

Steffen Juul stffn at dibidut.dk
Sun Nov 4 15:24:26 CET 2007

On 04/11/2007, at 12.03, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> I very much support that approach.

I also think preferences/themes are a good ide. This could quickly
become the bike shred colouring story over again.

> The only way a GUI overhaul can work in the long run IMO is to make a
> configuration system. This actually probably should not be a command
> line flag like "-originalgui" or "-newgui", but a new configuration
> file for themes that can be loaded with "-theme" or so.

I like the idea of separating it, but i think it would be good to
consider the possibilities to get "it" into vanilla Pd as well. I
don't know if there is any strategy with that goal that works better
then others wrt. that?

In some sense such custom GUI options would support the goal of being
cultural natural.

"The computer music community is similar to the Linux community in
that it can grow among small groups with only occasional need for
outside contact beyond what a modem can provide. To empower this, it
is important that the software not come with its own cultural freight
but that it adapt to whatever realities exist where the users live.
This is exactly what typifies good software development in general."
- Miller Puckette, "Max at Seventeen", Computer Music Journal, Vol.
26, No 4, p. 41.