[PD] Subtle Technologies Call for Submissions on "light"
cinetron at passport.ca
Mon Nov 5 10:12:12 CET 2007
Thought this may be of interest to some PDers ...
Call for Submissions
Subtle Technologies Festival 2008
Recognized internationally as a unique forum that encourages new
insights and collaborations, Subtle Technologies challenges its
participants to contemplate how art and science act upon one another and
Throughout four days of presentations, we cover a wide variety of
subjects. It is the unexpected threads that are woven between the
various presentations that make the Festival a unique experience.
The 11thSubtle Technologies Festival investigates lightas our theme.
Studied as long as recorded history, light continues to inspire and
mystify us. Either visible or invisible, a particle or a wave, as
nourishment, heat, and energy, molecules to complex organisms respond to
and are affected by light. The speed of light defines our physics. It
has held great spiritual significance for many cultures.
We invite submissions that focus on light as a tool, subject of inquiry,
and source of inspiration for disciplines related to both the arts and
sciences, including the visual, performance, moving image arts;
architecture and design; the engineering and natural sciences; and
historians, anthropologists, cultural theorists.
We are interested in looking at light that occurs in fabricated and
natural systems having physical, chemical, and biological origins. Some
possible topics we would like to explore in this year’s festival include
but are not limited to:
* light in medicine
* light in artforms
* light's relationship to astronomy
* perception and psychological effects of light
* circadian rythmn
* light as a source of energy
* physics of light
* light in dance, theatre and performance
* light as an architectural or urban planning element
* light in biology
* light's relationship to spirituality
* light as a communication medium
* light's relationship to film, photography and video
* light and the environment
We are currently seeking submissions for our symposium, exhibitions,
poster session, and film and video evening.
Guidelines for Proposals:
* We strongly urge those interested in submitting a proposal to
acquaint themselves with our history of programming.
* The festival is open to the public and presentations must be
accessible to a non-specialized audience.
* Each presentation must fill 45 minutes including a question and
* We encourage demonstrations, and can accommodate / provide
technical support for almost any type of presentation.
All presenters receive an honorarium and their festival registration
fees are waived.
To make a submission, please follow instructions on our website:
Proposal Deadline: December 31, 2007
More information about the Pd-list