[PD] changing the look of Pd to be more readable

Luke Iannini (pd) lukexipd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 17:38:29 CET 2007

> hmm, why do you want to differentiate between a "normal" object and an
> abstraction?
> i always considered abstractions to be equal to internals and externals.
> (they are not from an API point-of-view; but i think that this is a bug
> rather than a feature)

Distinguishing between externals and abstractions would be great since it
would give you an at-a-glance understanding of what has "more inside".
 Sure externals and abstractions are capable of congruent behavior, but one
cannot open an external, edit it and save it under a new name all within Pd.
 I'd see this feature as more of a "toggle-switch" rather than something I'd
turn on or off permanently, though.

Speaking of the "more inside" concept: I strongly support subpatch
differentiation, since personally I use subpatches primarily for patch
organization rather than as impromptu abstractions, but you are already
convinced : ).

It might be a good time to look at doing a "grammar" style identification of
objects to choose their style; this would get a lot closer to syntax
highlighting.  It would be cool to see all iemmatrix objects, or all list
processing objects highlighted in a different style.  And this would of
course solve the subpatch styling, since one could just look for "^pd .*".

And not to push my luck, but is it possible for the theme changes to
live-update rather than only applying to new windows?  I only ask because it
would open some fun patch-UI hacks.

Cheers
Luke