[PD] changing the look of Pd to be more readable

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Nov 5 22:21:51 CET 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 1:17 PM, Steffen Juul wrote:

> On 05/11/2007, at 18.23, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>>> The file "theme_from_commandline" would just need to specify
>>> variables in tcl-syntax:
>>>
>>>     set theme_bgcolor grey
>>>     set theme_bwidth 2
>>>

>> FYI, this should be possible now using [textfile] and [sys_gui]. See
>> my "themer" example I posted last night, then add [textfile] and some
>> basic parsing.
>
> I think the/your [sys_gui] is interesting from a GUI slash custom
> patch layout per patch point of view. But another interface for
> setting the general patch layout (~theme) would be great, I think.
>
> One reason, as I spoke of earlier, is the possibility of getting it
> into vanilla Pd too. For that to make sense there need a non-
> external interface. - As I see it.
>
> Related: What does the changes to the *.c files in
> color_scheme_support-0.40.3.patch do? I read c not good.
>
> But to put it another way: Would it be troublesome to add another
> interface fx via a "theme file with tcl syntax"? At a later point
> it could get it's own tab in a tab-ified preference window as a bonus.

That theme file can be loaded by a Pd patch using [textfile] and
[sys_gui].  I am thinking of making a "startup.pd" patch which is run
after startup completes.  This could then load the theme file.

> In this discussion i think it's good to keep the distinction
> between the general layout/theme and the per patch ditto.

A theme could be loaded in a patch by using [initbang] so that it's
run before the patch is done drawing (I think, I could be wrong).

.hc

> Technically [sys_gui] and friends can do both. It can by it self do
> the general themes by (re)setting the vars in pd.tk. With friends
> it can therefor also reset it to default, where default is the the
> default theme the given user has specified - right?

----

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson