[PD] new pd wiki - practical data - includes forum

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 02:05:04 CET 2007

On 11/5/07, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> > I'm all for centralization; however, I've never liked the puredata.info
> > <http://puredata.info> layout
>
> hmm, layouts that please everybody, anyone?

Sorry, poor choice of phrasing; I've found the site a little intimidating,
personally.  Anyway I don't ask developers of free software to be magic
webmasters too.
The existence of several other sites with pd in the name, that are all
obviously devoted to Pure Data, has thrown me in the past, especially when I
had no idea where to go beyond Miller's site.  If puredata.info is agreed to
be the place, it's fine with me, if anyone can agree.
At any rate I'm against coming up with new Pd community sites every 6
months.

> and setup.  When you find a link to a
> > file, you first have to visit the page where the file is listed, and for
>
> if you are talking about the exdtraneous /download in
> .../myfile/download, this is definitely a bug which i haven't found time
> to fix yet.
>
> in the meantime, you can always directly link to .../myfile/download as
> somebody else has already mentioned.

I'm not sure if this is the bug you mean, but when I right-click my link it
wants to save as file.htm, and if I instead follow that link and click the
next one, it wants to save the actual file, but as 'file.zip'.  And, with a
slow connection, I'm thinking of just right-clicking directly from the
individual's page to download the file, instead of loading another html
page.  I'll try /myfile/download on my page, if this is what it does.

> I'm all for a wiki (public editing means less chance of a site being
> > neglected), but I thought there already was one??
>
> excuse me, but puredata.info is only restricted to registered userse
> (and everybody can register), because this site has seriously been
> spammed.

Understood.  I didn't mean that puredata.info was neglected, it seems pretty
well maintained.  Then again I guess it's up to individuals to maintain
their own files.
I recall having some trouble finding documentation for some externals, but
looking now I can find it without much trouble.
It's still not possible to locate "toxy", "cyclone", or "mixed" from the
search function.  I suppose their author never put a link to them on
puredata.info, but they are in Pd-extended, no?  Yet nothing about
Pd-extended comes up in a search for them.  If the author never linked or
uploaded them, is it okay for someone like me to put a link to his website
from my puredata.info page?
And has anyone heard anything of or from him?

this might happen as well to a wiki-site. the usual way to deal with
> this is either by captchas or by restricting the site to registered
> users (with an open registration).
> hey, the latter reminds me of puredata.info

Good point.  I just might go update my page.

-Chuckk