[PD] changing the look of Pd to be more readable

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 7 19:02:26 CET 2007

On Nov 7, 2007, at 8:57 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:
>
>> Speaking of the "more inside" concept: I strongly support subpatch
>> differentiation, since personally I use subpatches primarily for
>> patch
>> organization rather than as impromptu abstractions, but you are
>> already
>> convinced : ).
>
> in jMax, subpatch boxes had a special look (the box was all teal
> instead of white with a teal outline), but abstraction instances
> looked just like any other kind of object. I think that there was a
> good reason for this.
>
>> It might be a good time to look at doing a "grammar" style
>> identification of
>> objects to choose their style; this would get a lot closer to syntax
>> highlighting.  It would be cool to see all iemmatrix objects, or
>> all list
>> processing objects highlighted in a different style.  And this
>> would of
>> course solve the subpatch styling, since one could just look for
>> "^pd .*".
>
> I agree that there could be options for this. I don't think that
> distinguishing abstraction instances from other boxes should be
> done by default or encouraged, but it could deserve to be turned on
> temporarily on some occasions.

I agree with this except for the fact that there should be some
visual marker that you can open an abstraction.  So abstractions and
binary objects look the same, except abstractions have a little
marker to mark it as openable.  This could then also apply to objects
written in scripting languages.

.hc