[PD] First time PD troubles: A programmers confusion.

Timothy Sikes trs164 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 22:12:19 CET 2007

HiFirst of all, this is my first email to this email group, so, I want to make sure that asking 'newb' questions is okay, and that this would be the place to email those 'newb' questions.I'll tell a little bit about some things that might be helpful in answering my questions.  I started Python when I was in 7th or 8th grade, and loved it.  I started working through one of the O'Reilly's Python books.  Now, I am taking a Java class, and loving it too ( have a 103%).   So when I got PD, I thought I would just have to learn how to apply these things I've learned in Python and Java to PD.  I went through the documentation, and just got confused.  Next, I tried to find some basic tutorials on the web with no avail.  Finally, I looked at the examples that came with the installation. These were by far the best introduction to PD, and I understood them... Until I got to the flow of control ones.  It's the one where the counter counts up to ten, then stops, with another that is a counter that goes up by one, and you clear it by pressing the -1 button. Remember, I program,  so if it could be explained as if I were programming, that would probably help me.  I don't understand what the term 'bang' refers to in these examples, along with why certain 'inlets' connect to certain 'outlets',  or the flow of control in the programs, or where the 'count' variable is and how to manipulate it.  I feel that once I understand these things, I'll be able to have loads of fun with PD.  So, Please help, and:Thank you.