[PD] Growing patch-window size (Was:Re: changing the look of Pd to be more readable)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Nov 9 07:41:27 CET 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Steffen Juul wrote:

> On 07/11/2007, at 19.07, marius schebella wrote:
>
>> you can start searching in 2002.
>
> Now i don't know if i repeat anyone from the past. I apologize
> beforehand.
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> If there isn't a bug report for this, please file one and I'll
>>> take a
>>> look when I get a chance.
>
> Maybe we can keep it on list for a few bits more.
>
> I made a patch to test the behavior. This is the test:
>
> 1) Note that the patch is 500x300 initially. Either by opening in a
> text editor or with 'head -1' or.
> 2) Open the attached patch. Click the [10( on one of the sides.
> 3) Note that the patch has grown to 504x304
>
> Now the weird bit.
>
> 4) with out closing the patch, click the [10( again.
> 5) Note that it has _not_ grown to 508x308.
> 6) Close the patch
> 7) Reopen the patch
> 8) Click the [bang(
> 9) Note that it has now grown to 508x308
>
> So it seams it grows 4px per run with a reload.
>
> More weirdness. Or observations.
>
> 10) Now try the above but clicking the [100( on either side.
> 11) Note that it still only increases by 4px.
>
> 12) Close and reopen the patch.
> 13) Just save it as you normally would.
> 14) Note that only one save increases the size 4px.
>
> 15) Note that using either the [until] method or the [delay] method
> doesn't make a difference.
>
> <grow.pd>

This is a very helpful illustration of the bug.  I think that it's
probably happening when opening the patch.  Could you add this info
to the bug tracker, I believe there is already a bug report for this
one, and I'll try to look at it tomororw.

----

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White