[PD] Pd in video game Spore

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Nov 10 15:45:52 CET 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:24:44 +0100
Cyrille.Damez at laposte.net wrote:

> On Saturday 10 November 2007 11:32:08 Andy Farnell wrote:
> > It is still a bit frustrating for me though, because although games
> > developers are ready to embrace procedural score generation they are not
> > yet ready to deal with the general case of procedural audio,
>
> They're not even that ready to embrace procedural graphics, so I am not that
> surprised that they are reluctant about procedural audio.

You think so? I'm not a graphics guy and rather ignorant of the whole
field, but when I used to build Unreal levels we had basic procedural
textures for flames and water, even in 1997. I thought the whole procedural
texture thing was a done deal and mainstream technology now.

Or when you say "graphics" do you mean something else. I'm having a hard
time imagining any kind of use for procedural geometry other than for
liquids and gasses (fire and water again) because non-living solids tend
not to change their topology. The exception would be trees and plants
built using the L-system type bifurcation I guess.

--
Use the source