[PD] Thanks and now for something else!

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Nov 10 09:14:06 CET 2007

Hallo,
Timothy Sikes hat gesagt: // Timothy Sikes wrote:

> First of all, I want to thank everyone for the tremendous help you
> guys gave me to start PD a day or two ago.  I think parts of PD have
> finally started to sink in.  Whoever told me not to think of PD so
> procedurally, or orderly, really helped.  Right now,  I am getting
> the benefits of my labor by listening to a loop that goes from midi
> sound 50 -100 then loops again... and again.....  Alright,  now for
> the stuff I don't get!  So, my next project I would like to tackle
> to better understand PD is to have it play a simple midi C scale.

Just send 60, 62, 64, 65, 67, 69, 71, 72 to [mtof]. Or better yet,
send 0,2,4,5,7,9,11,12 to [+ 60]. You may want to search Google for
Peter Elsea's Max tutorials on pitch (and rhythm and chords later, too)
(e.g. ftp://arts.ucsc.edu/pub/ems/maxtutors/)

> Some of the things that I want to understand better is the 'select'
> object, and what happens when an outlet is connected to it, how to
> use the equality (>, <=) symbols accurately, and how they work in
> PD.  I have already looked at the examples that came with it,  and
> they just confused me:  When I took them out at started it over,  it
> seemed to work just fine.  This is the 'more counting' one,  and
> when I remove the >= 0 boxes, it still works, plus they're not
> really explained at all.Thanks again!

[>] and so on work by sending either 0 for false and 1 for true
comparisons. [> 10] compares to 10. You can overwrite the stored "10"
through the second inlet.

Select converts selected messages to bang-messages. [select 0 1] can
be used to convert a 0-message to a bang at the first outlet and a 1
to a bang at the second outlet.

[select] and a comparison together form a kind of if-else-conditional:

 if (x > 10) then do bang1 else do bang2 end

in Pd would be:

 "float x"

 [> 10]

 [select 1 0]