[PD] Pd and gpgpu

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 13:47:52 CET 2007

hi,
no, I don't know how to use glsl for audio. I thought you were talking
about graphical things. for audio you somehow would have to copy a
buffer of audio data to the graphicscard (I don't know an object that
could do that, but maybe there is one?...), then do your computations
and then read it back into ram and then pass it to the soundcard.
I also don't see, how you would time and synchronize your graphics card
with the soundcard.
it is true that the gpu is unused most of the time and could be used to
do fast calculations, but the main output for graphicscards is the
screen and reading back into ram can be slow. (of course "slow" is a
relative term). I also see a problem in the different formats for audio
and images. most graphics cards are optimized for vec4 processings (4
parallel color channels). and audio...
OTOH I know that max/msp has some shaders that do audio computation. You
could have a look at that and then maybe know how to do it in pd, too.
although I think that is all related to jitter functionality, and pd
can't really do that.
marius.