[PD] [Gem]: basic questions

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 21:55:43 CET 2007

hi,
I will try to answer from my understanding, and then maybe iohannes and
chris can correct me.
usually when you turn gem rendering on, the following happens:
erase the buffer, draw all objects according to the order of gemheads
(every gemhead can have a sorting number 0-100 and negative values.)
I am not sure if this is buffer 2, but it is definitely not buffer 1.
buffer 1 means: erase the buffer only when gemwin gets a bang. and draw
only when a gemheads gets a bang.
there is an example 04.pix/10.pixdatasimple that makes use of that
technique.
one very important object is gemframebuffer. it is not documented (no
help patch) and is only used in one example 07.texture/10.framebuffer
but it very very essential. because it enables you to render to a
texture on the gpu and then use this imagedata as a texture for other
objects.

[gemhead]

[gemframebuffer]
  |          |