[PD] scrolling with translate

simon wise simonxwise at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 12 02:35:25 CET 2007

On 11 Nov 2007, at 3:43 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

>> use :
>> gemhead
>> translateXYZ
>> pix_image
>> pix_texture
>> rectangle 20 2
>
> i am surprised, that you got even a result with
> [translateXYZ]-[pix_draw]. something very important to know about Gem
> is, that you can work in two domains: in the openGl-domain, which is
> completely processed on the gpu (if supported by hardware and enabled)
> and in the pix domain, which is computed on the cpu. all objects of
> gem
> with pix_* in their name belong to the pix domain. what cyrilly is
> proposing , is to switch as soon as possible to the opengl domain in
> order to save cpu, since [pix_draw] usually is quite slow (with
> [pix_draw] you get the very same result while just burning some cpu
> cycles).
>
>> cyrille
>>>
>>> oh, and is there a way to plot large image files with [pix_texture]?
>>> i'm trying to do something like this:
>>> http://shiraklasmerphotography.com/Flash_Move/movement3.htm
>
> yeah, this is perfectly possible with the patch, that cyrille
> proposed.
> nevertheless, there are probably some hardware limitations. at
> least on
> my box, i wasn't able to texture a picture with a width of 3000px. i
> splitted it into 3 files à 1000px and textured them separately on
> three
> rectangles. let me know, if cannot figure out to do it, i can send you
> the patch.

the hardware limitation that I know of is the graphics card memory
(that limits the max size any textures can be) - the way I've got
around that in a more general way is splitting long images into
separate 4x3 files and using an abstraction with two gemheads,
alternating between the smaller files - I could also post that if you
wanted.

simon