[PD] [OT] Re: Pd in video game Spore

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Nov 12 12:55:04 CET 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:15:20PM +0000, Andy Farnell wrote:

> Good lord Chris, those are very impressive. My first thought
> wasn't how cool they would look skinned in a game, but how powerful
> this is to the field of robotics. Build your real robots as models
> in this gravity/friction environment and use GAs to converge on
> behaviour (that you could never have time to train IRL) then pop
> the results back into your real bot.

There was a Robot Soccer exhibition not long ago at the local university
here, and one of the exciting things I picked up from that was that the
little robot dogs they used in the competition were often trained
to walk in exactly the way you describe.

For a long time I've been meaning to code up a nice little 3d/physics/GA
environment with PyODE and PyOpenGL to try those kind of experiments and
replicate Karl Sims' work. Maybe one day I'll find the time!

If we wanted to connect this back to Pd, we could train 3d GAs to dance
in time to Pd made music. :)

Best,

Chris.