[PD] Pd in video game Spore

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Nov 12 19:59:54 CET 2007

Pd from Miller is BSD-licensed, so they can do anything they want
with it as long as they post the copyright, basically.  Pd code is
also included in Max/MSP, hence the mention of Miller on the splash
page.

.hc

On Nov 12, 2007, at 10:27 AM, vade wrote:

> This is really impressive in many ways. Out of curiosity, how is
> the licensing  handled? Congratulations, Spore is one of the few
> games I have been eagerly anticipating, I cannot wait to get my
> hands on it :)
>

> On Nov 11, 2007, at 5:59 PM, Mark_Danks at PlayStation.Sony.Com wrote:
>

>>   I'm not certain that I would say that about me... :-)
>>
>>   But yes, since the cat is out of the bag, Spore uses Pd _very_
>> heavily.  I worked with the audio team to get it moved into the
>> game engine when I was at EA.  The fact that Pd has the gui as a
>> seperate app makes it fairly easy to get going.  It just runs
>> headless in the engine.
>>
>>   And yes, it does run just fine on a PS3 :-)
>>
>> Mark Danks
>> Senior Manager
>> SCEA
>>

>> "chris clepper" <cgclepper at gmail.com>
>> Sent by: pd-list-bounces at iem.at
>> 11/09/2007 11:32 AM

>> "Hans-Christoph Steiner" <hans at eds.org>
>> cc
>> pd list <pd-list at iem.kug.ac.at>
>> Subject
>> Re: [PD] Pd in video game Spore
>>

>> Mark is now really high up in Sony's PS3 division.
>>
>> On Nov 9, 2007 1:20 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > I just read this on the Max list:
>> >
>> > http://www.cycling74.com/pipermail/maxmsp/2007-November/038995.html
>> >
>> > Apparently, Pd is part of the EA game Spore.  Makes sense, since
>> Mark
>> > Danks, Gem creator and UCSD alum, is pretty high up at EA.
>> >
>> > .hc

>> ---
>> > ----
>> >
>> > All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic

----

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent
controls you." - Richard M. Stallman