[PD] GUI speed test

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Nov 12 21:01:03 CET 2007

I devised a quick test of loading speed and did some quick
comparisons on my MacBook Pro 2.4GHz.  (I am used to having one of
the slowest machines around, my old 800Mhz Powerbook, so I still have
to readjust my thinking).  Here's my times:

14ms	Pd-0.39.3-extended
6.5ms 	Pd-0.40-2 vanilla
16ms	Pd-0.40.3-extended-20071111

So on the face of it, it looks like really large time differences.
Percentage-wise it is a large difference, but perceptually, waiting
7ms vs. 16ms for something to load is not at all meaningful.  No
human could tell the difference in the experience unless you were
generating sounds and visuals based on the opening and closing of the
patch.

This is, of course, on a fast machine.  300ms vs 800ms would be a big
perceptual difference, basically it would be the feeling of opening
quick versus a wait.

I'd be interested to see how this fares on other machines and OSes.
I attached the patches