[PD] GUI speed test

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Nov 12 21:36:39 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I devised a quick test of loading speed and did some quick comparisons
> on my MacBook Pro 2.4GHz.  (I am used to having one of the slowest
> machines around, my old 800Mhz Powerbook, so I still have to readjust my
> thinking).  Here's my times:
>
> 14ms    Pd-0.39.3-extended
> 6.5ms     Pd-0.40-2 vanilla
> 16ms    Pd-0.40.3-extended-20071111
>
> So on the face of it, it looks like really large time differences.
> Percentage-wise it is a large difference, but perceptually, waiting 7ms
> vs. 16ms for something to load is not at all meaningful.  No human could
> tell the difference in the experience unless you were generating sounds
> and visuals based on the opening and closing of the patch.
>
> This is, of course, on a fast machine.  300ms vs 800ms would be a big
> perceptual difference, basically it would be the feeling of opening
> quick versus a wait.
>
> I'd be interested to see how this fares on other machines and OSes.  I
> attached the patches

first time i opened the patch on pd-0.40-2(vanilla): 14-16ms (cannot
remember)
second time the file was already cached, which gives me a result of 4ms
(pretty constant)
REALTIME: 4.206
REALTIME: 4.152
REALTIME: 4.127
REALTIME: 3.909
REALTIME: 4.092
REALTIME: 4.225

with pd-0.41-CVS (vanilla) i get:
REALTIME: 6.953
REALTIME: 4.308
REALTIME: 4.579
REALTIME: 4.206

btw, did you now that you can use the "." as the path for "pd open"?
few people i know will have the patch downloaded to /Users/hans/desktop

fmga.dr
IOhannes