[PD] GUI speed test

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 13 00:48:01 CET 2007

On Nov 12, 2007, at 3:36 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I devised a quick test of loading speed and did some quick
>> comparisons on my MacBook Pro 2.4GHz.  (I am used to having one of
>> the slowest machines around, my old 800Mhz Powerbook, so I still
>> have to readjust my thinking).  Here's my times:
>> 14ms    Pd-0.39.3-extended
>> 6.5ms     Pd-0.40-2 vanilla
>> 16ms    Pd-0.40.3-extended-20071111
>> So on the face of it, it looks like really large time
>> differences.  Percentage-wise it is a large difference, but
>> perceptually, waiting 7ms vs. 16ms for something to load is not at
>> all meaningful.  No human could tell the difference in the
>> experience unless you were generating sounds and visuals based on
>> the opening and closing of the patch.
>> This is, of course, on a fast machine.  300ms vs 800ms would be a
>> big perceptual difference, basically it would be the feeling of
>> opening quick versus a wait.
>> I'd be interested to see how this fares on other machines and
>> OSes.  I attached the patches

One more to add:

~21ms	Pd-0.39-2 vanilla

The difference between 0.39.2 vanilla and extended is probably due to
the improvements in Tcl/Tk.  vanilla uses 8.4.5, extended 8.4.14
+cvs.  For Mac people, Daniel Steffen recently has done a lot of work
on making Tk run faster on Mac OS X in 8.5, so if anyone wants to
experiment, I think there could be some real improvements there.

Thanks all for the responses, I am also hoping to get some tests of
the most recent Pd-0.40.3-extended nightly builds that use polygons
instead of lines for the boxes.  I am hoping to track down the
mentioned slowness.

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli