[PD] scrolling with translate

simon wise simonxwise at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 13 01:17:09 CET 2007

On 13 Nov 2007, at 8:35 AM, tom tlalim wrote:

> ah, nice one - thanx!
> great idea to load image parts while scrolling! this enables panoramas
> of different lengths.
> the only issue is i get a little jump in scrolling speed when new
> files get loaded (mine are 1500 X 425 ±400k each)

yes - it depends on your machine, if it is fast enough then you can
get away with loading without it being too noticeable, otherwise to
get it smooth on a slower machine you need to have multiple
[pix_image] objects and load them all first. Depending on the desired
results you can play around with the [gemwin] rate and with the
resolution and compression of your image files (different codecs may
load faster, no compression could be an advantage and Gem scales
lower resolutions up quite nicely). You could also try tricks like
making a ramdisk to hold the files in ram - then loading them to the
GPU could be faster but I haven't needed to go down that path yet. It
is possible that you could do the file reading/texturing happen in
one instance of pd with a lower priority and pass the texture ID
across to another pd which does the playing - but this may just be
fantasy and I certainly haven't tried it.

What I have generally done for performances is make sure nothing
unnecessary is running on the machines that run the video mixing
patch, and running pd -nogui controlling everything via a midi fader
desk or from a pd control patch on another computer on the network.
This has worked well for me running video clips, live camera and
still images on several screens from 1 controller.

simon