[PD] binding tools for widgets (was:Re: who is using [entry]?)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 14 19:27:09 CET 2007

On Nov 14, 2007, at 12:27 PM, Patrice Colet wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>
>> Binding what to what?
>
> binding key, mouse, to widgets with having possibility to define
> binding parameters, idealy, all the connections between widgets
> could be done with tcl-tk, it would be a lot easier to patch, and
> we could make nicer and more versatiles interfaces.

That would be very nice to have, but I am not addressing that yet.
tot/tow/widget address that, AFAIK.  It would be nice to have that
stuff working well in Pd-extended.  Any volunteers?

>> Using [canvas_name], [window_name], and [sys_gui],
>
> I've no clue about those objects, where do they come from?

I recently wrote them, they are in the 0.40.3-extended nightly builds.

>> (or toxy)
>
> I'm allready using tow or tot or I send directly parameters to
> widgets, but it's not easy at all, one have to know perfectly pd
> inside, and tcl-tk code, that's not my case.
>
> if using toxy/widget and .wid files could be replaced by something
> easier that wouldn't need to reboot pd at each tries, and with
> intelligible error messaging, it would be perfect, then many people
> would be able to create original widgets, with repelling the design
> limits imposed by actual widgets.

Federico, Matju and I have talked some about making a Tcl/Tk API for
writing widgets for Pd.  But we haven't written any code yet.  The
idea would be to extend Federico's tclpd to support the GUI API.

----

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom