[PD] tabread4~~

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Nov 15 06:39:45 CET 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Charles Henry wrote:

> Zen master Dogen tells us that we say time is passing because we live in
> time.  In fact, we are passing in time, and time stays exactly where it
> is.

time seen as the 4th space dimension is also a result of
Einstein-Minkowski theory. It wasn't the only step in that direction, not
the first step, but it was a major shift. There's a version of Pythagoras'
theorem for that space-time, in which the only difference between space
and time is that they have a different sign. Thus time is a kind of space
with a scale factor equal to square root of -1. (You may also get to this
scale factor by fiddling with the wave equation.)

Whether time "moves" or "stays exactly where it is" is a metaphysical
question: you can't make an experiment that distinguishes the two
possibilities. Thus it's just a matter of how we explain things to
ourselves.

> Maybe we can find 2-D time through transcendance. hmmm an external for that?

I think that there is hope in reversing the roles of time and space in
equations, such that you have 1-D space and 3-D time. I don't think that
we'd be able to get to exactly 2-D time. Thus I believe that there is more
hope in [line~~~] than in [line~~].