[PD] pix_video: composite or Firewire ?

Olivier Heinry olivier.heinry at manga-burgah.net
Fri Nov 16 05:11:54 CET 2007

Le jeudi 15 novembre 2007 à 18:47 -0500, Alexandre Quessy a écrit :
> Hi all,
> Preparing one more Gem video perf with circus. :) (the 4th!)
>
> I didn't like much using Firewire (ieee1394) under GNU/Linux, since
> the driver is pretty slow.

> What would you guys recommend, if I want to use a nice miniDV camera ?
> It could either be a composite (BNC cable) capture card under
> GNU/Linux or the Firewire uner Mac OS X.

 I've got a conexant BTxxx capture chip on a PCI board. I think the
problem of the analog capture card its the poorer image quality than
Firewire. And delay is quite noticeable to my opinion even on a linux
box.

> I think that the BNC cable is more flexible an easier to handle than
> the Firewire. It can also be very long, and that suits my needs, since
> it gives more flexibility to the cameraman.

There is  also the firewire over optic fibre solutions: one of the dance
companies Iw ork with purchased one, and it has an excellent image
quality and very low delay over a 100m fiber. The fiber is actually more
flexible than a cooper coax cable and a lot lighter. The prob with BNC
is the weight of the cable itself which tends to damage  the
camera/peripheral connectors after a while.

See  http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/item.asp?name=648 for one
of the cheapest FW over optic fibre solutions around in France.
++
O.