[PD] Moveable Type - powered by Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Nov 16 22:24:42 CET 2007

If any of you happens to be in New York City, drop by the lobby of
the new New York Times building.  It's open to the public, and there
is a great installation there.  The sound is all powered by Pd and
the text handling and sequencing was done with Python.

http://earstudio.com/projects/moveable_type.html

Moveable Type
Mark Hansen and Ben Rubin
(in progress, to be completed in fall, 2007)

"Moveable Type, by New York artist Ben Rubin and U.C.L.A. associate
professor Mark Hansen, is an artwork commissioned for the ground-
floor lobby of The New York Times Building in New York City. When
complete, it will be a dynamic portrait of The Times. Statistical
methods and natural-language processing algorithms will be used to
parse the daily output of the paper (news, features, editorials) and
the archives, as well as the activity of visitors to NYTimes.com
(browsing, searching, commenting). The resulting refracted view of
The Times will be displayed on 560 vacuum-fluorescent display screens
installed in the lobby."

I'll post more on this when I get it, like video would be nice...

----

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!