[PD] Moveable Type - powered by Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Nov 17 18:13:04 CET 2007

I cc'ed the list since I think this would be of general interest/

On Nov 17, 2007, at 3:42 AM, padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk wrote:

>> The Times will be displayed on 560 vacuum-fluorescent display screens
>> installed in the lobby.
>
> That's one mighty display driver. Any idea what hardware is used to
> address so many display modules?

I did the Pd setup on this project, so I know the details pretty
well.  Basically, each screen includes an embedded GNU/Linux box on
the back with a little speaker too.  So each of those screens is
running an instance of Pd.  There is one computer that sequences the
whole thing.  That computer is connected to all the screen nodes via
RS-485 one-to-many serial.

Each screen is controlled from each node via a serial protocol using
custom python code.

----

publicity.          - Bill Moyers