[PD] Fwd: Bug entering '{' characters WAS: who is using [entry]?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Nov 18 18:35:35 CET 2007

On Nov 18, 2007, at 4:56 AM, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> So... anyone want to write a regexp that escapes any unclosed
>> brackets?  That would be a tricky one... but very useful for Pd.
>
> I guess that it's not possible at all with regular expressions:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Regular_language#Regular_languages_over_an_alphabet
> --8<--
> A simple example of a language that is not regular is the set of
> strings
> { a^n b^n | n >= 0 }.
> --8<--
>
> This is precisely the "matching brackets" problem.

regexps plus something else perhaps.  It's pretty simple to do, just
count open brackets and close brackets, see if there is a difference,
then go find the extra and escape it.  Many text editors keep track
of this stuff on the fly.

----

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler