[PD] About editing pdpedia

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 20 02:59:05 CET 2007

On Nov 19, 2007, at 2:20 AM, PSPunch wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have some questions for some of you working on pdpedia.
>

> =======
> 1.
> Has there already been discussions on policies regarding when/which
> pages to lock?
> I am assuming that leaving everything unlocked is the way to go if
> only
> the world were an ideal place. Are there not yet MediaWiki spammers?

Locking pages is basically for when people are fighting over a page.
I can't imagine that anything is so divisive in Pd that we'd need to
lock pages.  So far, we haven't had any spam yet.

> =======
> 2.
> Regarding importing data from other languages..
> For some basic pages, I have gotten away with the following procedure.
>
> I. Open the pdpedia page in English.
> II. Enter "edit" mode and [copy] the contents in the form
> III. Create an equivalent page in my language and [paste] the material
> above.
> IV. Use above as a starting point to begin translation.
>
> --
> The above does not work for pages such as 'Category:vanilla'.
> I don't quite understand how that content is embedded in the page.
> Can some one help me on importing the list of objects?
>
> I've noticed that people working on the Spanish and Portuguese pages
> have been successful in this.

Once that translated template that you posted is ready to go, then
I'll run the import.  That will generate template pages for about
2000 objectclasses.  Then it's a matter of plugging in content, which
can be gathered from pages in other languages, help patches, etc.

.hc