[PD] installing netpd under gentoo using layman error maxlib

mescalinum at gmail.com mescalinum at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 10:01:05 CET 2007

> so what you got there with /usr/lib/pd and doc/ in there ??
> who does that belong to to whatever ..check it out and emerge --resume
> then ..

no way-.-

> ah, seems you got FEATURES=userpriv  - so you might diasable thet .. but
> seems actually this a bug in the ebuild , it shouldn't try making that
> directory at 'install' stage.

CVS ebuilds (ebuilds that pull sources from VC repositories) are a hell.
I promised myself to make periodically snapshots, so I wouldn't had such issues.

at te time I wrote the ebuild it worked fine.

> directories are made at the 'merge' stage
>
> > ACCESS DENIED  mkdir:     /usr/lib/pd/doc
> > install: cannot create directory `/usr/lib/pd/doc': Permission denied
> > make: *** [install] Error 1

it seems that Makefile system ignored DESTDIR

DESTDIR is an environment variable for staged installs.
and Gentoo does staged installs. it means it does not install directly
into /usr/lib, but first does install tasks inside a sandbox, chrooted
in $DESTDIR directory. if makefile tries to write directly to root /
filesystem (thus, not respecting the DESTDIR directive) it raises that
Access Violation error above

I'll fix as soon as I have time

thanks for reporting

--