[PD] [print] and float arguments

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 20 22:43:21 CET 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 3:21 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> probably for a similar reason like why [send] does not accept
>>> float  arguments?
>>>
>>> (this is of course not true; [send] requires "binding" to a
>>> label,  and numbers (A_FLOAT) do not provide a mechanism to do
>>> so, whereas  symbols do)
>> I don't understand your point.  Basically what I am asking is,
>> would  anyone object to adding the ability to handle float args to
>> [print]?
>
> which point?
> i just tried to give an explanation why things are as they are.
> not an excuse.
> and i also mentioned that my explanation is most likely wrong as it
> draws parallels where there really are none.
>
> i principally don't object to [print] accepting number arguments,
> rather i'd favour it.
> (but don't want yet another patch that breaks compatibility with pd-
> vanilla; so it's just a matter whether miller has some objections -
> after all, why does it not accept floats in the first place?)

Now that I look at it, I think it would make sense to allow multiple
atoms in the [print] box as well, converting to text using
binbuf_gettext().  Then it seems that having a symbol x->x_sym
doesn't work as well, and instead it should be char x->x_text
[MAXPDSTRING];

----

You can't steal a gift. Bird gave the world his music, and if you can
hear it, you can have it. - Dizzy Gillespie