[PD] performance on osX

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Thu Nov 22 00:14:28 CET 2007

Hi Cyrille,

cyrille henry wrote:

> now, i'd like to understand why the same computer on osX is about 2 time slower.

I've been asking myself that for years!!! I have 1.67 GHz PPC G4, and I
never use OSX for live work, only Linux. It's true, the exact same
patches on OSX are twice as slow on the same computer as on Linux. I've
brought this up on the list many times, but the only solutions were to
get into compiling against better native versions of some of the
supporting software such as Tcl/Tk and X11 instead of relying on the
Aqua interface, which adds most of the burden. I don't recall all the
things that needed to be done...largely had to do with graphics
interface (surprise surprise!)

But I didn't get too far into it. I've moved away from
development/testing in the last couple years due to increasingly busy
performance schedule. Easier to reboot into Linux and get on with the
show! Maybe check the archives and see if it's something you want to get
involved with fixing (as was suggested to me when I complained about it).

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista