[PD] t b b f etc...

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Thu Nov 22 04:00:20 CET 2007

Hi Josh,

The "t" is an abbreviation for "trigger". You might want to check out
the help file for [trigger].

Basically, computers are dumb animals, and need to be told exactly what
to do and in what order, or else they get confused and don't do things
the way you expect. [trigger] is a message sequencer which says "first
do this, then do this, then do this" in a right-to-left order.

The "f" and the "b" stand for "float" (a floating point number, ie. a
number with a decimal place) and "bang" (a message which many objects
interpret as "do this action now").In PD-speak, these are known as
"creation arguments" (extra information used when the object [trigger]
is created).

So, whenever [trigger] gets an input, it outputs things in this
right-to-left order.

If [trigger bang bang float] (or [t b b f] for short) gets the message
"5" (a float), then it would output the following, in order:

5
bang
bang

Bangs are often used when dealing with "hot" and "cold" inlets. Check
the manual.

I've written a bit more about it in this tutorial:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/PureData/SimpleSynth

(Slightly unfinished, but in the works...)

Otherwise, the HTML PD manual and the Control Examples patches in PD
(keywords = order of operations, hot and cold inlets) explain it as well.

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista