[PD] performance on osX

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Thu Nov 22 21:22:34 CET 2007

Hi Cyrille,

cyrille henry wrote:

> Derek : do you know if this performance problem happend only with pd, or
> also with other software?

I didn't take a lot of time to benchmark different applications between
the two platforms, although I did spend about 3 months (2 years ago)
seeing how much stuff from the Linux Audio world was or could be ported
to OSX. I use Ardour quite frequently without noticing a big loss of
performance from Linux to OSX. But you have to keep in mind how big and
bloated the Aqua/OSX desktop manager is!!! I'm sure it can account for a
lot of overhead. But I still saw PD running a surprising amount slower
than on Linux.

I use JACK almost always on OSX with PD (when I use it on OSX at all),
and still the speed is quite poor. I'm fairly positive it has to do with
whether Aqua handles the graphical interface or not. All those brushed
chrome windows and colorful spinning widgets sure are expensive! Maybe
do comparisons with "--nogui"? (Although for GEM patches this wouldn't
help much would it?)

But in general, I've lost interest in using up valuable
working/performing/recording time in debugging things. I keep a Linux
partition on my laptop for PD live sets, sound editing in ReZound and
heavy-duty Ardour/Jamin recording/mastering work these days, and do my
day-to-day computer business under OS X. That seems like a working
solution for me.

Sorry not be more helpful...

best,
d.