[PD] pd filter with pole and zero

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 09:17:33 CET 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 9:54 PM, cyrille henry <cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr> wrote:
> hello,
>
> i know there is a lot's of filter externals available for pd, but i'd like to use some using rpole~ / cpole~ etc.

I like playing with raw filters too.  I don't have any references to
add to Claude's, and really for me it's more a matter of getting
through the references I already have.  Miller's book has a very good
explanation, lots of graphs, lots of explanations for the rotation and
complex number stuff, but still lots of detail.  I've also used the
graphing abstractions in H14.all.pass.pd, substituting rpole~ et al to
see the frequency and phase response as I change the values.
I also found the [fexpr~] object educational.
I wonder what more knowledgeable people will say to this: my
impression has been that, as interesting as filter design is, and
although it's possible and not terribly difficult to learn to
understand it well, it is not something that will necessarily become
intuitive with practice.  That, to design specific filters, it will
still be a matter of performing series of calculations to know what
values to use, rather than "sort of knowing" what to put.  Thoughts?

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com