[PD] Building a compressor in PD?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Nov 28 02:10:42 CET 2007

hm.. don't quite know, how to answer this, i'd say yes and no. basically
'waveshaping' means adding non-linear distortions to a signal, a
process, which enriches the frequency spectrum of the signal (->
spectrum is altered). the goal of all dynamic processing fx as gates,
compressors, limters, expanders is to only affect the dynamics of the
signal, but not the spectrum. but yeah, they are somehow related: if you
use very insane settings for a compressor, let's say 0ms for attack and
decay, then you have actually a waveshaper. let's say you use very small
values but not 0, then it is actually not exactly a waveshaper anymore,
althouth the spectrum might still be altered. a waveshaper uses table
look-up, so each input value has its corresponding output value, but a
compressor with very short attack and decay is more kind of an 'adaptive
waveshaper' (i am not that much an expert, so this term might not make
any sense). however, what happens is more complex, because the current
output value is not only dependent on the actual input value, but also
on previous input values (and also if we are actually in 'attack' state
or 'release' state).

roman