[PD] hex loader

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 28 09:49:08 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I am curious why you chose to make it a loader rather than to make it
> part of the core?

???
just to refresh everyones memories:
i have originally written the hexloader as a patch against pd-vanilla.
zthe functionality was: setupfun-mangling and filename-mangling.
this was in times before the sys_loader mechanism existed.
miller then applied my patch (i think for pd-0.39, but i am not sure
about pd-versions).
miller also applied tg's sys_loader patch.
in the next release of Pd, the hexloader was reduced to
setupfun-mangling only.

i then thought (and still think) that miller has some reason to reduce
the hexloader-functionality in pd-core.
however, at the same time he provides an alternative to create your own
loader, so why not use that one instead?

e.g. i could have bothered to get [>~] into core pd for 7 long years.
instead i chose the suggested way by writing an external that provides
[>~]. this has worked fine, why should i change it? why should i have
spent energy to get something i already have? (why do i have to spend
energy in explaining this?)

> For example, it would be nice to be able to write <~
> in tcl with tclpd, if need be.

yes indeed it would be nice.
how do you think it should work (if done in core-pd)?
why do you think it is impossible to do this with an external loader?

mfga.sdr
IOhannes