[PD] Building a compressor in PD?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Nov 28 13:45:55 CET 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Vreahli the Audio Bandit wrote:

> Heya - I'm just curious - is it even possible to build a compressor in
> PD without coding it in C? The only way I can think of getting the
> overall loudness of a signal is by checking audio rate stuff - which
> won't work with control rate values. Just a curiosity. :)

You can square your signal using [*~] or other, to turn
square-of-amplitude into DC. Then you can low-pass this with [lop~] or
other, in order to get a moving average that is smoothly decaying. You can
use this measurement of loudness (or any adjusted version of it) to
control some waveshaping function or just another [*~].

If you just want a quick smooth clipping, try these:

   [expr atan($v1*1.57079)/1.57079] (trigonometric clipping)
   [expr tanh($v1)]                 (hyperbolic clipping)
   [expr erf($v1)]                  (gaussian clipping)

All three do no gain on quiet sounds, but clip them in different ways when
they get louder.