[PD] select issues

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Nov 29 19:00:06 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 03:12 -0500, marius schebella wrote:
> hi,
> I just found out, that [select] only throughputs floats and symbols, but
> not lists.
>
> [1 2 3 4 5(
> [sel bla]
>
> will only output "1" on the right outlet, but not a the whole list. that
> is quite a limitation. but... ok.
> marius.

hm. i'd rather say, that the error messages it outputs are inconsistent.
the help-file says, that it accepts numbers and symbols. i'd expect it
to output an error, whenever a non-symbol or non-number message is
received. however, what it does, is quite 'funny', if not to say
'frivolous':

sending messages and corresponding error messages:

[select three]
'list one 2'	error: inlet: no method for 'float'
'list one two'	no error
'symbol one'	no error
'3'		no error
'one'		error: select: no method for 'one'
'bang'		error: select: no method for 'bang

[select 3]
'list one 2'	no error
'list one two'	error: inlet: no method for 'symbol'
'symbol one'	no error
'3'		no error
'one'		error: select: no method for 'one'
'bang'		error: select: no method for 'bang

we see, that a [select <symbol>] outputs an error, if the second element
of a list is a floar, and vice versa, a [select <float] gives an error,
if the second element of the incoming list is a symbol. i think, there
is no explanation, that would make this behaviour to seem logical.

use [route] for message with n!=1 elements. i'd expect [select] to work
with only n=1 element lists and everything at least looks to be
consistent.

roman