[PD] gem codec basic review

patrick puredata at 11h11.com
Fri Nov 30 21:47:13 CET 2007

hi,

i am on linux running the very last version of gem from cvs. i am trying
to find a good codec for gem. here's my basic research:

---------------------------------------
the best codec for quicktime is jpeg:
transcode -i yourvideo -y mov,null -F jpeg,,jpeg_quality=70 -o gem.mov

gem cpu usage is 38%
mplayer cpu usage is 27%
ffplay cpu usage is 16%
lqtplay cpu usage is 1% **

---------------------------------------
for avi i tried ffmpeg / mjpeg:
transcode -i yourvideo -y ffmpeg,null -F mjpeg -o gem.avi

gem cpu usage is 33%
mplayer cpu usage is 33%
ffplay cpu usage is 22%

---------------------------------------
the really best codec around is mpeg4:
transcode -i yourvideo -y ffmpeg,null -F mpeg4 -o gem.avi

gem cpu usage is: crashed**
mplayer cpu usage is 16%
ffplay cpu usage is 11%

* lqtplay seems to make a excellent job for decoding is own codec. would
it be possible to make a pix_qt based on the source of this player???

** anybody can test this codec? that would be my second choice... after
lqtplay ported to gem...

pat