[PD] select issues

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 3 20:41:57 CET 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 8:26 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 07:32:31PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>> On Dec 1, 2007, at 9:17 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:
>>> If you change the behaviour of something as fundemental as [select]
>>> in pd-extended and it doesn't get changed in Pd, then the patches
>>> and
>>> libraries I write under Pd won't work properly in pd-extended.
>>
>> That is well understood.  I have no plans to change [select] in an
>> incompatible way.  Frank clearly illustrated why the change discussed
>> would break things.
>
> Alright, I will stop freaking out then. :)

No cause for alarm, I am still (mostly) rational ;).  I have been
thinking of making a library of objects for things like select,
route, trigger, etc. that would all be very consistent in their
behavior, and easier to understand in their type handling.  So far,
it's just a vague idea, but discussions like these are very helpful
to spur that thinking.

----

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson