[PD] PD & MAX

vade doktorp at mac.com
Mon Dec 3 22:25:41 CET 2007

Well, Ive used both, I use Jitter pretty much exclusively. I suggest
using PD Extended to help with the install, GEM is nice and fast for
most things, but is more suited to 3D (GEM is a wrapper for OpenGL,
not video exclusively, so inherits some of that in its design), than
to video per se. Its video effects are (maybe be?) somewhat limiting,
but it does support shaders (despite some issues), but not stream
processing (at least, no one has shown an example of that just yet,
and whats been tried has not worked), so building sets of effects that
arent out of box accelerated on the GPU may be of some issue - if you
want to go that route.

If you are willing to spend the money, I highly suggest Jitter.

I am a bit biased however, im simply much more used to working with
Jitter than GEM, but all I can say is I tried playing with video in PD
and felt I needed to look elsewhere for what *I* wanted to do.

But explore it, GEM has plenty of opportunities to be creative and do
awesome work, and you cannot beat the price. There is plenty of great
work being done with it.