[PD] PD & MAX

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:01:17 CET 2007

I was using GEM for most of my projects in the past but run into
problems recently... otoh I got very good support from the jitter
community, so I switched to max for my current projects.
the problem with GEM is that there are not enough people working on the
development. someone has to step up and get into gem development, but it
is a big "first step" to do.
gem is totally opengl and it also supports shaders and lua scripting,
which is a very good extension for creating visuals.
besids gridflow there is also another package around for video
rendering, called pdp, and a lot of objects in a pdp related separate
library called pidip.
both, gridflow and pdp go into the direction of jitter, but don't have
the same size, documentation, user groups.
still, if you ever want to go into details of code, there is only pd,
where you actually can have a look at the code, and that could really be
an advantage, if you ever want to get into that detail.
besides pd and max there are also other programs you might take into
consideration like quartz composer (mac), or a game engine like ogre.
marius.