[PD] segmented patchcords (was Re: PD & MAX)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 4 18:29:00 CET 2007

Hallo,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> segmented patchcords can make patches less readable, but most of the
> time they make patches more readable, and that is when you use so many
> unsegmented cords that they hide the objects. also when you want to
> connect an object at the bottom of the patch to an object at the top,
> then you can lay the cord at the outside of the patch to make the
> ~feed-back.

Flamewar bait, but I'll bite: I think, in many of these cases the
objects or even the whole patch are laid out in a bad or even wrong
way. If a patch has so many cords that everything is black from them,
something is wrong on another level than the level segmentation of
cords could fix. Then the patch is in need of refactoring.

With feedback it's a slighty different issue, but unless you have a
lot of feedback in your patch, you can make your own segments with [t
a] or send/receive, and if you have a lot of feedback in your patch,
you probably should use more abstractions/subpatches anyway, see
above.

Btw.: Even many Max users prefer non-segmented cords, don't they?

Ciao