[PD] segmented patchcords (was Re: PD & MAX)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 4 18:52:52 CET 2007

There are occasional times when segmented patchcords make a patch
more readable, but the vast majority of the time, they are a
distraction at best.  I have watched so many Max users spend quite a
bit of time segmenting and organizing their patchcords.  If they
instead put that same effort into organizing the code, using
subpatches, etc., the code would be much more readable and maintainable.

There is one thing that a patchcord should clearly communicate, and
that is which two objects are connected.  In order to get that
information from a segmented patchcord, you have to follow its path
with your eye.  When the patchcord goes straight from one object to
another, the connection is much more apparent and easy to perceive.

.hc